© 2018 by _Gentoo_

Austin, TX | Phoenix, AZ


Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 9.16.37 PM.png
Game Maker's Toolkit 2019 Game Jam - Bathroom Buckle Up

The theme for GMTK's 2019 Game Jam was: Only One. For this project, I teamed up with an incredible artist from Australia, and together, we created this wacky physics based "simulator". We wanted to create a game that was a bit over the top, but most importantly, fun to play and funny: something that would make people laugh. I believe we achieved that, and we received numerous responses praising the design and gameplay. Mission accomplished!

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 5.25.54 PM.png
Ludum Dare 43- Quetzalcoatl

The theme for Ludum Dare 43 was: Sacrifices Must Be Made. For this theme I created a local party game where players are placed inside a small arena and have to compete for praise from the all-mighty Quetzalcoatl. Players chase down the prisoner, and carry him to the alter where they must mash buttons fast enough to complete the sacrificial ritual. Players may also pick up items such as crates to throw at others and disrupt their sacrificial ritual. This game was developed using GameMaker Studio 2, Aseprite, and Garageband.

Ludum Dare 42- A Hundred Dogs

For Ludum Dare 42 the theme was: Running Out Of Space. For this theme I created a pseudo-wave survival game where the player is placed inside of a procedurally generated house, and 1-by-1, dogs make their way to the player. It is the player's responsibility to take care of the dogs by giving them food and water. The game ends once 100 dogs have been spawned and the player has either failed or succeeded to take care of them. This game is very dark in its humor and has been either very well received, or not enjoyed at all. Touching on a touchy subject such as dead dogs has granted some criticism, but being my first solo game jam submission, I am quite proud of the technical accomplishments and hope that some people enjoy the absurd concept and morbid humor in this chaotic experience. This game was developed using GameMaker Studio 2 and Aseprite.

Ludum Dare 41- T.O.B.R

For Ludum Dare 41 the theme was Mix Two Incompatible Genres, i.e. Turn Based Racing. This was an interesting theme idea and led to what I believe has been some of the most creative games yet. Working with James of PopDaddyGames, we decided to try and create a tower defense battle Royale game where the player places a single turret and waits for the other turrets to battle it out. We also decided to include networked multiplayer which was challenging since neither of us had prior experience with networking in video games. The game was a moderate success for us, while there were a ton of features not quite finished, it had working multiplayer and a basic combat system. This framework led to the development of ABG, which is a larger scale, board game battle Royale with movable characters, companions, and turrets. This game was developed using Unity, AssetForge, and Blender.

Ludum Dare 40- Odaya

For Ludum Dare 40 the theme was The More You Have, The Worse It Is. During the voting phase, James from PopDaddyGames and I decided that we were going to develop a game for the theme Floating Islands, as we agreed that we liked that theme best. For this jam we wanted to create a meditative experience where the player played as a small bug hopping from umbrella to umbrella. As time went on through the jam we diverged from the umbrella focus to an small explorable world --this was due to some complications in the umbrella programming. With this shift we decided to focus back on the actual theme of the jam, and have the player collect flower petals which slowed the player down. This game was a big success for us personally as it was the first time I really ever did any sort of 3D art, and James experimented with new movement controllers. This game was developed using Unity and Blender.

Ludum Dare 39- QWT

For Ludum Dare 39 the theme was Running Out Of Power. This was the first game jam that James from PopDaddyGames and I ever worked on a project together, and James' first time working in 2D. We decided to create a top down dungeon crawler/twin-stick shooter where every action drained the players energy. While we didn't consider this game to be a huge personal success, looking back, we have recently realized the great feat it was to have accomplished this game in 72 hours, especially for the first time working together. We recently showcased this game off at Phoenix Comicfest 2018 as a last ditch scramble, and were pleasantly surprised by people's reaction to it. What we considered to be a mess of a project was thoroughly enjoyed by many and potential a project we pick up again soon. This game was developed using Unity and Aseprite.

Founders Day Game Jam- Get Herd

For the Founders Day Game Jam in October of 2016, I partnered with Curtis Spence, a fellow developer at SpikyBois, for the first time. Matching the theme of, Let The Games Be Heard, we decided to create a voice controlled, two player fighting game where the player controls a sheep. We utilized Microsoft's Speech-to-text API into Unity's engine to create the core functionality. While we didn't place at the end of the jam, we were still proud of our submission. A vital lesson we learned that weekend is to spend time to playtest your game. One of the reasons why we believe we fell short of placing in the top 3 was because of small technical decisions that gave the first two judges a poor experience, and after quick adjustments, the final three judges thoroughly enjoyed the game. This is all a great learning experience to prove that playtesting is vital when submitting a game. This game was developed using Unity and Aseprite.